Make a Difference Through Engineering Management
Kettering University’s customizable online MS in Engineering Management combines your engineering knowledge with management skills and abilities to take your career to the next level.
- Make an impact right away - Our Learn Today-Use Tomorrow philosophy combines theory with practice, allowing you to apply your classroom learning directly to the job
- Evaluate and solve complex problems in leadership, communication, change management, lean thinking, human resources and ethics
- Understand the strategic role of information systems (IS) and a process-oriented view of the organization and its relationships with suppliers, customers and competitors
- Evaluate ways organizations implement processes globally using enterprise resource planning (ERP), supply chain management (SCM), customer relationship management (CRM), product lifecycle management (PLM) and social networks
- Customize your experience – The curriculum includes your choice of one of six graduate certificates
- Increase your competitive edge – Add as few as 4 courses to add a second degree to your credentials: Choose from MBA, MS Operations Management or MS Lean Manufacturing
KUO’s MS Engineering Management degree program delivers the holistic leadership and communication skills needed to manage other engineers and a cross-disciplinary team.
- 100% online, 40 credit-hour curriculum – 7 core courses plus your choice of one of the following 3-course graduate certificates: Global Leadership, Lean Principles for Healthcare, Operations Management, Management & Leadership, Supply Chain Level I or Supply Chain Level II
- Tuition Cost – $750 per credit hour - financial aid and military benefits are available to those who qualify
- 8 starts a year – Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer
- Finish in as few as 18 months
- No GRE/GMAT required
“I could learn the theoretical side of leadership, then more of the business management practices, then test out applying it in my work life and see what worked and didn't work for me. The most valuable thing about the degree for me was the practicality and the ability to easily apply it to my own real-world situations.”
Julia Z, MSEM 2022
Kettering University Online – Master of Science in Data Science FAQs
What Are the Admissions Requirements?
Undergraduate degree with a background in the sciences, Data Science or Analytics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or Business Analytics preferred, but not required.
An Unwavering Commitment to Quality
Kettering University Online is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Our dedicated faculty and staff are committed to providing quality education and shaping some of the brightest minds of tomorrow.
- #3 Best Value Colleges in Michigan by Niche - 2023
- #6 Best Regional University in the Midwest U.S. News & World Report- 2022-2023
- #12 Best Colleges for Veterans U.S. News & World Report- 2022-2023
- One of the Best 388 Colleges in the United States Princeton Review - 2023
- Silver-Status University - Veteran-Friendly Schools (VFS) program - Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency - 2022
About Engineering Management
Engineering managers combine solid engineering principles with savvy business acumen to lead teams working on new products, processes, or designs, or working to improve existing ones.
Career Outlook for Engineering Management
Architectural and Engineering Manager jobs are expected to increase by 14,700 jobs per year from 2020 to 2030, according to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics. Engineering Managers with at least 5 years of experience can earn a median pay of $152,340 annually. Job titles include:
- Engineering Project Manager
- Cost Systems Analyst
- Construction Management Engineer
- Industrial Management Engineer
- Civil Engineering Manager
Engineering Management is a common next step for established engineers who desire to move into leadership and increase their contribution to their company’s strategic goals.
MSc in Engineering Management Online - FAQs
- A bachelor’s degree from an approved, ABET-accredited engineering (not technology) or computing program, or a Kettering University degree other than management or business.
- Undergraduate degree with 3.0 on a 4.0 grading system, or the international equivalent (85 overall grade point average on a 100-grade-point scale.) A 2.5-2.99 GPA will be considered on a provisional basis.
- Statement of Purpose
- Three Professional Letters of Recommendation (one must be from a supervisor)
- Official transcripts from a regionally accredited U.S. university or an international equivalent
- Up to 8 hours of transfer credits may be available
- No GRE or GMAT is required
In addition to the Domestic requirements, International requirements also include:
- International students are required to submit educational documentation to an evaluation service such as Educational Perspectives, which is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). This will be at the expense of the student. Kettering University undergraduate students need not submit their Kettering transcripts but are required to submit transcripts from any other university.
- International applicants whose native language is not English and who have not earned a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), MELAB (offered by the University of Michigan), or complete level 112 at an approved ELS center. Please have official scores sent to Kettering University’s Office of Admissions, Code 1246. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Our minimum score requirements are:
- TOEFL: Paper-based: 550
- Computer-based: 213
- Internet-based: 79
- IELTS: Minimum Band score of 6.0
- MELAB: 76
Our knowledgeable and supportive Admissions Advisors help you understand KUO's program structure, mission, core values, and goals. They help you understand how the program you are interested in pursuing aligns with your career goals and assist you in preparing a strong file for the Admissions Committee.
Online students enrolled with KUO receive individual guidance from a Professional Advisor. KUO is committed to helping you thrive as an online student —that is why we offer support from the start of your classes until graduation, ensuring you stay connected to the university.
Online Master's in Engineering Management – Curriculum
MS in Engineering Management Online – Certificate Options
The Online MSc in Engineering Management curriculum includes 7 core courses plus your choice of one of the 3-course graduate certificates listed below.
Online Master's in Engineering Management - Core Courses
- MGMT 679 | Leadership
- MGMT 649 | Ethics and Leadership
- BUSN 689 | Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 619 | Project Management
- MGMT 609 | Technology Management
Plus, one of the following, according to your program:
- MGMT 661 | Operations Management (non-MSOM programs)
- IME 676 | Lean Six Sigma (MSOM program only)
- IME 656 | Engineering for Healthcare Systems
- HMGT 609 | Healthcare Management
Plus, your choice of:
- SCM 610 | Foundations Supply Chain Management OR
- IME 676 | Lean Six Sigma
- MGMT 620| Business Communication and Presentation
- MGMT 621 | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Plus, your choice of:
- MGMT 622| Organized Labor and Management Relations
- MGMT 649 | Ethics and Leadership
- SCM 610 | Foundations Supply Chain Management
- SCM 611 | Collaboration Supply Chain Management
- SCM 612 | Customer Relationship Management
- SCM 613 | Supply Chain Logistics
- SCM 614 | Procurement and Risk Management
- SCM 615 | Supply Chain Planning
Earning your online Master of Science in Engineering Management from KUO, a global leader in STEM education, you learn from expert faculty and gain real-world skills. You graduate prepared to lead and impact change in your organization.
Connect with us — get your questions answered. Complete the form at the top of the page to download your program guide and schedule a time to speak with an Admissions Advisor.