What Can You Do with an MBA?
What Is an MBA?
In the late 1800s, business was characterized by a rapidly industrialized economy, in part thanks to the development of manufacturing management, which we know as operations management today (Kumar, and Suresh, 2009, p. 284), and the rise of large corporations. Railroad lines were expanding and new technologies, like the telegraph and telephone, helped facilitate booming growth in commerce and industry. By the beginning of the 1900s, those in business recognized a need for a “new type of workforce formally educated in financial and management best practices” (Garner, 2021, para. 6). In response to this need for a new workforce, Harvard University introduced the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degree in 1908.
The MBA degree is a collection of courses offering a holistic look at the organizational psychology and behavior of companies as well as the technical expertise needed to understand the areas of finance, marketing, business analytics, entrepreneurship, human resources, and project management among others.
Benefits of Having an MBA
Having an integrated understanding of business management, and a working knowledge of how business units function independently, as well as a part of a successful whole, is imperative to succeed in today’s fiercely competitive global marketplace. Companies are motivated to hire business professionals with both the technical and soft skills necessary to make a wide variety of decisions on the pressing issues of the day. For example, when you graduate with an MBA from Kettering University Online you will cultivate a deeper understanding of how to:
- use accounting and financial information to make sound business decisions based on facts and not gut-instinct
- leverage technology to increase business productivity and viability through operation management techniques/skills
- communicate with, mentor, and manage employees
- navigate supply chain management issues, assess risk, and create contingency plans
- understand the impact of influences on customer behavior and psychology which ultimately affect marketing strategies
Graduating with an MBA is a definite value-add for companies looking to hire new leaders with innovative ideas.
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, suggests that the overall employment in business and financial occupations is projected to grow 7 percent from 2021 to 2031 and result in about 715,100 new jobs over the decade (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2022). Following are examples of the national average salary for positions requiring an MBA (Indeed, 2022).
- Health Center Manager — $62,673
- Marketing Manager — $63,392
- Business Operations Manager — $67,782
- Human Resource Manager — $70,628
- Budget Analyst — $71,213
- Project Manager — $77,162
- Operations Research Analyst — $82,360
Graduates with an MBA can work in a variety of industries. Here are some examples of what you can do with an MBA.
- Social Media Product Manager – focus on understanding users, identifying opportunity areas and prioritizing business problems to solve.
- Financial Analyst for a tech company – present financial summaries and business insights to senior management for decision-making.
- Business Consultant for a national security agency – use predictive and prescriptive data analyses to enable decision-making by senior leaders.
- Global Customer Experience Manager - overseeing the planning, analytics, operations, and customer service for a healthcare laboratory.
- Brand Manager for a national company – use metrics to develop clear and actionable recommendations for strategic initiatives and understand how to create marketing plans to increase brand awareness.
Employers are now, more than ever, looking to hire MBA graduates who: are reliable, demonstrate a willingness to learn, work well with colleagues, are accountable, and proactive rather than reactive.
How KUO Prepares MBA Graduates for Leadership
Now that you understand both the history and usefulness of the MBA degree, it’s time to read about how KUO can prepare you to lead! Excellent leaders have a number of qualities and attributes including setting clear goals and objectives, motivating their teams, making tough decisions, and being fair and ethical. KUO is dedicated to building these types of leaders!
From managerial accounting, to international business, from enterprise information system models, to managing people and organizations, Kettering University Online’s MBA is designed to expose you to the most current academic research and innovative approaches to business. After graduating, you will have an in depth understanding the tools, techniques, and best-practices for conducting business in ethical ways with an eye towards sustainability and innovation.
In 2022, Kettering University Online’s MBA program placed #1 as the Best Online MBA in Michigan (Michigan, MBA Central) and also #1 for Faculty Credentials and Training. (U.S. News and World Report, 2022). Following are the courses you take in this award-winning program:
- Managerial Accounting
- Financial Management
- Strategic Management
- Marketing Management
- Choose one: International Business, Leadership, or Project Management
- Choose one: Managing People and Organizations or Organizational Behavior
- MBA Capstone: Innovation and New Ventures
Through discussion questions, assignments, and projects, you work with your fellow learners to digest the theories and apply the practical skills designed to improve overall business performance, support effective decision-making, and aid you in managing projects and leading people.
In addition to learning about the theory and application of business concepts, you may also learn a lot about yourself. This program challenges you to examine your strengths and limitations through discussion questions and assignments designed to challenge your thinking about the way you lead or manage, handle conflict, and communicate with others. By the end of the program, you are likely to have a clearer sense of who you are personally, and of what you are capable professionally. You also hone the necessary skill-sets for succeeding in a high-performance business environment including:
- Critical Thinking
- Conflict Management
- Time Management
- Effective Interpersonal Communication
- Leadership and Motivation
Other important topics such as cross-cultural communication, legality and ethics, corporate social responsibility, and innovation are weaved throughout several courses in the program.
Kettering University Online MBA faculty is a collection of academic and industry experts with various backgrounds and experience. What unites them is the belief in student-centered, experiential learning with a focus on honing the technical and soft-skill sets essential for success in today’s corporate landscape.
Leaderships is an essential theme in all KUO courses. When discussing the topic of leadership, contributing faculty member, Dr. Stephen Paulone, suggests the three most important qualities of effective leaders are: “empathy tempered by defined processes, knowledge honed with experience, and respect for others regardless of their title or position” (Kettering Global, 2021, para. 26). Those graduating with an MBA from KUO are poised to become the next group of industry leaders!
Upon graduating, you become part of an elite club finding yourself in the company of an extensive alumni network from thousands of business sectors across a wide range of industries. General Motors, Ford, Fiat Chrysler, Bosch, Boeing, Delphi, The Weather Channel, GE, and NASA are just some of the companies whose employees are Kettering graduates.
Below are some Kettering Alumni industry leaders:
- Mary Barra, General Motors Corporation Chief Executive Officer and Chairman
- Chet Huber, Onstar Founding President
- Henry Juszkiewicz, Gibson Guitar Corporation, Chief Executive Officer
- Bob Kagle, Benchmark Capital General Partner
- Sonia Syngal Old Navy President and Chief Executive Officer
Challenging yourself to learn new things, while working with others from around the globe, expands your thinking, broadens your professional network, and can boost your career into the next level.
Once enrolled in Kettering University Online’s MBA, you have the opportunity to make the most of a program designed to equip you with the theory, tools, and techniques to become a successful management professional and perceptive business leader.
Bureau of Labor and Statistics (2023). Occupational outlook handbook: Business and financial occupations. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/home.htm
Garner, B. (2021, July 30). What is the history of the MBA? https://www.mba.com/explore-programs/mba-programs/what-is-the-history-of...
Indeed. (2022, August 2). 20 Best MBA degree jobs that pay well. https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/mba-degree-jobs
Kettering Global. (2021, May 18). Faculty spotlight: Dr. Stephen Paulone. https://online.kettering.edu/news/2021/05/18/faculty-spotlight-dr-stephe...
Kumar, S. and Suresh, N. (2009). Production and operations management. Second Edition. https://www.academia.edu/23992923/Production_and_Operations_Management_2...
MBACentral. (2022). The 15 best Michigan online MBA degree programs. https://www.mbacentral.org/top/best-michigan-online-mba-degree-programs/
U.S. News and World Report. Kettering University rankings. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/kettering-university-2262/overall-r...