The Only Program of Its Kind in North America – Developed in Partnership with General Motors
Kettering University’s customizable online MS in Lean Manufacturing was developed in collaboration with General Motors to give you the edge you need to improve quality output, streamline processes and reduce waste.
- Become an expert in Lean enterprise development and Six Sigma, value stream mapping, Pareto charts, fishbone diagrams, etc.
- Engage in the latest research on competitive and low-cost manufacturing operations
- Develop expertise to manage a cross-functional, cross-cultural operation
- Improve processes with the DMAIC problem-solving method (define, measure, analyze, improve, control)
- Evaluate and apply quality philosophy through statistical methods
- Increase your competitive edge - Add as few as 5 courses to add a second degree to your credentials: Choose from MBA, MS Operations Management, or MS Engineering Management.
Make an impact right away - our Learn Today-Use Tomorrow philosophy combines theory with practice, allowing you to apply your classroom learning directly to the job.
- 100% online, 40 credit-hour curriculum – 7 core courses plus your choice of one of the following 3-course graduate certificates: Global Leadership, Lean Principles for Healthcare, Operations Management, Management & Leadership, Supply Chain Level I or Supply Chain Level II
- Tuition Cost – $955 per credit hour - financial aid and military benefits are available to those who qualify
- 8 starts a year – Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer
- Finish in as few as 18 months
- No GRE/GMAT required
“The quality and the expertise of the professors and the faculty and the staff - everyone here at KUO really exemplifies what I believe the future of education needs to be. I found that it was almost exactly like being on campus. I could drop the professor an email, set up a time to meet, and have really in-depth conversations.”
Dave L, MSLM + MBA, 2022
Kettering University Online – Master of Science in Data Science FAQs
What Are the Admissions Requirements?
Undergraduate degree with a background in the sciences, Data Science or Analytics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or Business Analytics preferred, but not required.
An Unwavering Commitment to Quality
KUO is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Our dedicated faculty and staff are committed to providing quality education and shaping some of the brightest minds of tomorrow.
- #3 Best Value Colleges in Michigan by Niche - 2022
- #6 Best Regional University in the Midwest U.S. News & World Report- 2022-2023
- #12 Best Colleges for Veterans U.S. News & World Report- 2022-2023
- One of the Best 388 Colleges in the United States Princeton Review - 2023
- Silver-Status University - Veteran-Friendly Schools (VFS) program - Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency - 2022
About Lean Manufacturing
Lean Manufacturing applies Lean and Six Sigma philosophy, practices and tools to organizational challenges to reduce and eliminate waste and create a more efficient process – creating optimized processes and services to reduce time, cost and errors.
Career Outlook for Lean Manufacturing
Lean Manufacturing will experience a faster than average growth rate of 14% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Examine salary expectations from Industry Week’s 2021 salary survey:
- Automotive Plant Manager: $125,694
- COO: $167, 243
- CTO: $167, 243
- Retail District Manager: $96,000
- Hospital Administrator: $114,118
- National Service Director (or Executive Director): $124,500
- Corporate/Executive Management: $167,243
- Lean/Continuous Improvement Management: $124,500
- VP/Director, Manufacturing/Production/Supply Chain: $162,938
- Consulting/Education: $101,690
- VP, Director, Purchasing/Procurement/Sourcing: $157,750
- R&D/Product Development Management: $131,917
- Quality Management: $100,375
Those pursuing a career in Lean Manufacturing can work in various industries, including aerospace, agriculture, apparel, automotive, construction, consumer products, forestry, healthcare, government, sports, retail, service industries, and technology.
MS in Lean Manufacturing Degree Online - FAQs
- Undergraduate degree with 3.0 on a 4.0 grading system, or the international equivalent (85 overall grade point average on a 100-grade-point scale.) A 2.5-2.99 GPA will be considered on a provisional basis.
- Statement of Purpose
- Three Professional Letters of Recommendation (one must be from a supervisor)
- Official transcripts from a regionally accredited U.S. university or an international equivalent
- Up to 8 hours of transfer credits may be available
- No GRE or GMAT is required
In addition to the Domestic requirements, International requirements also include:
- International students are required to submit educational documentation to an evaluation service such as Educational Perspectives, which is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). This will be at the expense of the student. Kettering University undergraduate students need not submit their Kettering transcripts but are required to submit transcripts from any other university.
- International applicants whose native language is not English and who have not earned a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), MELAB (offered by the University of Michigan), or complete level 112 at an approved ELS center. Please have official scores sent to Kettering University’s Office of Admissions, Code 1246. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Our minimum score requirements are:
- TOEFL: Paper-based: 550
- Computer-based: 213
- Internet-based: 79
- IELTS: Minimum Band score of 6.0
- MELAB: 76
Our knowledgeable and supportive Admissions Advisors help you understand KUO's program structure, mission, core values, and goals. They help you understand how the program you are interested in pursuing aligns with your career goals and assist you in preparing a strong file for the Admissions Committee.
Online students enrolled with KUO receive individual guidance from a Professional Advisor. KUO is committed to helping you thrive as an online student —that is why we offer support from the start of your classes until graduation, ensuring you stay connected to the university.
Lean Manufacturing Master's Degree – Curriculum
Kettering’s Lean Manufacturing program is now redesigned and updated thanks to the collaboration of subject matter experts currently working in the field to better enhance the student experience. These updates include:
- Latest research and Lean methods
- Critical thinking about Lean and different ways it is/can be utilized
- In-depth understanding on impact of projects based on real world situations
- Real-world business situations, problems and decisions
- Enhanced teamwork collaboration, as well as enhanced focus on individual leadership training in the industry.
-- Dr. Gokhan Sarpkaya, MS Lean Academic Champion
Online Master in Lean Manufacturing – Core Courses
Online Master of Lean Manufacturing – Certificate Options
The Master of Lean Manufacturing Online curriculum includes 7 core courses plus your choice of one of the 3-course graduate certificates listed below.
- MGMT 679 | Leadership
- MGMT 649 | Ethics and Leadership
- BUSN 689 | Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 619 | Project Management
- MGMT 609 | Technology Management
Plus, one of the following, according to your program:
- MGMT 661 | Operations Management (non-MSOM programs)
- IME 676 | Lean Six Sigma (MSOM program only)
- IME 656 | Engineering for Healthcare Systems
- HMGT 609 | Healthcare Management
Plus, your choice of:
- SCM 610 | Foundations Supply Chain Management OR
- IME 676 | Lean Six Sigma
- MGMT 620| Business Communication and Presentation
- MGMT 621 | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Plus, your choice of:
- MGMT 622| Organized Labor and Management Relations
- MGMT 649 | Ethics and Leadership
- SCM 610 | Foundations Supply Chain Management
- SCM 611 | Collaboration Supply Chain Management
- SCM 612 | Customer Relationship Management
- SCM 613 | Supply Chain Logistics
- SCM 614 | Procurement and Risk Management
- SCM 615 | Supply Chain Planning
Earning your online Master's Degree in Lean Manufacturing from Kettering University Online you learn from expert faculty and gain the latest real-world knowledge and skills in lean principles. You graduate as part of an extensive alumni network with connections to notable organizations such as General Motors, Bosch, Boeing, Fisher-Price, Whirlpool, GE, and NASA. Engineer your future and engineer your success with the edge an MS in Lean Manufacturing from Kettering University Online can provide.
Connect with us — get your questions answered. Complete the form at the top of the page to download your program guide and schedule a time to speak with an Admissions Advisor.